Shanthi Ganesan was awarded the 2013 Patricia Murphy Toxicology (Iowa State) High Impact Publication Award for her publication, "7,12-Dimethylbenz[a]anthracene exposure induces the DNA repair response in neonatal rat ovaries
." This was published in 2013 in Toxicol Appl Pharmacol (Ganesan S, Ghattacharya P, Keating AF). Shanthi is a Ph.D. student in in the Aileen Keating Lab
in Animal Science at Iowa State University.
Why should you consider the Toxicology graduate program at Iowa State University?
Strengths in Graduate Training and Iowa State University
- Since 2004, nine Toxicology students have been awarded Iowa State University
Research Excellence Awards. These are awarded to the top 10% of all graduating students, University wide, to recognize graduating
students for outstanding research or creativity as seen in their theses and dissertations.
These students are also expected to be academically superior and able to not only do
research, but develop a well-written product.
- Students research is directed towards solving real problems which translates into improvements
in the human condition
- Opportunities to co-major with other graduate programs, one thesis, enhancing knowledge and saleability of your degree
- Toxicology and Neurobiology provides a strong background in neurotoxicology
- Toxicology and Entomology provides a strong background in the understanding of the effect of pesticides, bioremediation, and the environment
- Toxicology and Food Science provides a strong background in biosecurity
- Strengths in chemistry, analytical chemistry, food chemistry, insects
and toxicology, veterinary toxicology and food and nutritional
- We build confidence.
Unique location--only 3-5 hours from major urban centers--Minneapolis,
Kansas City, St. Louis, Omaha, and Chicago.
Strong collegiality and collaborative potential.
Enthusiastic and very active toxicology grad student organization (TGSO)
- Iowa State ranks high through several different kinds of external evaluations: the Princeton Review's "The Best 371 Colleges",
US News World and Report's "America's Best Colleges", and Webometrics Ranking of World Universities.
- Ames, Iowa ranks high for quality of life and best places to live.
- Bioethics and Scientific Ethics Training
- Preparing Future Faculty Program Participant
- NSF ADVANCE participant
- Students go on to excellent opportunities in academica (post-docs and faculty) and in industry
- Biotechnology Service and Support Facilities
- Entrepreneurial opportunities
- ISU is centrally located in the heartland of American agriculture. As such, we are close to important
elements in the agricultural chain: e.g. farmer, University research and extension, Ag biotech industry,
consumers, and endpoint processing e.g. for ethanol production. Students interested in nearly any aspect
of toxicological research will be able to easily and directly connect their research to real impacts
in the agricultural world.
- Iowa State University has a strong history of focusing on relevant, social,
environmental and international issues to strengthen food and agriculture for our nation and the world.
- Beautiful Campus!